Many universities in England and Wales want a sharp increase in tuition fees, a survey by BBC News has concluded.
England’s Higher Education Minister David Lammy said there was an “important debate to be had”.
New Labor – “Education, Education, Education”
Tony Blair said it, and Gordon Brown has re-iterated it. Yet both Brown and Blair have very little to show for it except a big hole in the budget, no one can actually say education has improved significantly, yes in places it has but the overall picture is very much the same as it was 11 years ago.
The net result is a heavily neglected Higher Education System, the solution was to get the student to contribute to the pot in addition to the government. As we already know money is being spent left right and center to get us out a recession we are already well entrenched in and it looks to be many years before we are out of it.
The one sure fire way to make sure we can stay strong through any recession is to make sure we have well educated and trained people, yet the government policy seems to be actively discourage students from pursuing higher education by burdening them with more and more debt.
Stop the government making another mistake sign the petition here:
- I hate it when I am reading Onion Headlines, and forget its not real news… case in point: http://bit.ly/ZiFER #
- Sage Accounts is the worst piece of software ever made, all I want to do is import a CSV file. Work god damn it! #
- More and more I am reminded why Windows is rubbish, I have been waiting 45mins for .net Framework to install, it can’t be that hard can it? #
- There isn’t much point in having an alarm clock, when the fire alarm keeps doing the same job. #
- QOTD: I am Maximus Decimus Meridius Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance. #
- Mmm, muffins http://twitpic.com/23c59 #
- Coursework 1 of 2 Completed. SVN is making this alot easier. #
- I am more than a little pissed off, that #mediatemple (gs) has failed. Transferring to Dedicated Servers ASAP. #
- Massive CoreImage Bug, caused by safari systematically killing everything. Reboot Needed. #
- RT @SteveReynolds: @ashleyford Post your feedback on the MediaTemple Cluster 2 outage here: http://tinyurl.com/d8p2zx #
- Hahaha, I mention @mosso in a tweet and they start following me. Any chance of a discount for referring the spoils of (mt)’s failure? #
- For anybody affected by #mediatemple downtime. You can force your server to point to a (dv) if you add the domain to account center as a … #
- RT @brennannovak: A blog dedicated to the #mt_downtime for @mediatemple customers http://bit.ly/mtcustomers msg me if u want to contribute! #
- Retweeting @SteveReynolds: Open Letter to MT on behalf of MediaTemple Outage Sufferers : http://tinyurl.com/asycd2 #
- moving all my data to (dv) a little extra downtime is not going to be a problem I have been down over 36 hours. @mediatemple epic fail. #
- From an morning of RoR to an afternoon of JAVA, now I remember how much I hate java. #
If the production of the film is anything like the most recent trailer, it looks like its going to be a kick ass film.
- looks like I am attend the UK launch of the Roland V-Piano http://tinyurl.com/auozph #
- @chrisodonnell sibelius is shockingly bad, and you have to lay out alot of cash between versions. I recommend PrintMusic or Allegro. in reply to chrisodonnell #
- @eddyspirit you might want to look at finale 2009 way ahead of Sibelius http://tinyurl.com/finale09 in reply to eddyspirit #
- Is #heroes still going, the BBC seems to think it is. I got bored with it a long time ago. #BSG ftw #
- Tesco Chicken Salad is almost as bland as water… #
- Spotify Turns up some gems. http://open.spotify.com/track/1VZFHqFqipS7j5PAW70sp1 #
- @adamcurry google is moving all it’s servers to Denver. It’s the next step in the take over. All your email has belong to us. #
- @Artistagirl just a joke, although with the new world order you never know… in reply to Artistagirl #
- @spam @ScobleizerE #
- http://tinyurl.com/ct5sc6 #
- @spam @Paula22yup #
- @spam @Sandy776 #
- http://tinyurl.com/afxrlj – Next RyanAir is going to start charging extra for Wings, Engines, Seats and more importantly the Pilots #
- RT @lightwerk: Kurzweil’s predictions coming to a theater near you: http://transcendentman.com/ Bring on The Singularity! #
- I wish @spotify_com had an equalizer, it always seems a little light on the bass, and mids. But the Artist You may like is pretty good #
- Finally given up on the Skype BETA for OSX. Moving back to 2.7 Maybe it will start to work properly. #
- I hate it when iTunes crashes and proceeds to take 4 ages of man to check the library… #
- http://tinyurl.com/dl2c39 RyanAir, new inflight safety system. Before Helping others with O2 Mask, please pay for your own. #
- http://tinyurl.com/b5a9qv Ouch… #
- What Fun, its been a while since I have reinstalled OSX, forgot how much easier than Windows Installer is… #
- Migrated all my coursework to SVN, I tried GIT but it wouldn’t behave. #
- trying to listen to #noagenda stream keeps dieing on me, mirror anyone? #
- @adamcurry #noagenda stream is much better now #
- @adamcurry #noagenda people don’t want truth they want another story about Jade Goody #
- versions has to be the best thing since sliced bread http://versionsapp.com/ #
The world is abuzz with talk of the next big thing in computing, the cloud. Well this week my experiences have told me one thing, the cloud sucks, it is the biggest pile of BS since the bailout of the banks.
First, Google Mail (gmail for the US) failed. Leaving customers both on hosted and the standard accounts, then my favourite hosting provider of nearly 5 years fails on me, there (gs) or GridService. The cloud based shared hosting system, which I decided to put some of my clients on to allow rapid scaling or as it has turned out rapid failing.
The storage cluster of which my server is a part has failed, in a whale like fashion – Spewing its entrails all over the server. Thankfully my managerie of dedicated servers are still up and running, but I hadn’t transferred the remainder of the sites out of the (gs). Meaning the biggest of all my sites is no down for the count, and has been down for over 24hrs.
I love (mt) mediatemple, and there support staff are not doubt taking flak from every corner. But, I would really appreciate it if I could edit my DNS entries so I can get something up to explain to customers what the hell is going on, and no we haven’t gone bankrupt.